Flight Of The Anasazi
By David Billiot
Copyright 2026: All rights reserved
Chapter 22: Planet Florida
The Roanoke was directed to travel to and dock with Memory station. Instead of the docking port they wanted the ship to come into the hangar for a landing. The ship carefully got into position for the docking arms to get attached and then transfer the spin of the station to the Roanoke. Then the ship glided into the hanger and made touchdown.
Once the ship was secure Karen turned the Roanoke’s gravity off. Everyone was orderly as Stormer got the ramp down and one by one Roma and her crew left the Roanoke. Waiting for them outside were the medical staff of the station. There was some time dealing with getting Roma and her men the medical attention they needed.
“Alright, everyone.” Roma began. “I want to thank you all for your service. Each and every single one of you were instrumental in the completion of our mission. We had some challenges but you all did your duty and I commend you. Thank you for your efforts.”
From some distance away the doors opened and a group of people entered the hanger. Roma could make out security personnel as well as reporters. Roma stood at attention and her men, seeing her, did as well. Stormer came to stand next to Roma and then her crew all got in line.
The president herself was coming along with Senator Freedman and Admiral Black.
“Sir, Captain Amanda Roma, reporting mission failure. The ship is intact. I surrender her over to you.”
“Welcome home, captain. I understand you’ve had quite the journey.” the president said. The president came shoulder to shoulder with Roma and then posed for the cameras. “This wasn’t mission failure at all. This was a huge success for not only this government but also all of humanity. Captain Roma’s pioneering success is the first step under my administration to us becoming an interstellar species.”
Once the impromptu press conference was over the medics got back to treating the men and Roma was pulled to a secret meeting between the president, the senator, and the admiral.
“The situation at Technon Station is serious. We have a bit of a conflict on our hands.” the senator said.
“How serious is it?” Roma asked.
“We have a ceasefire and it’s holding for the moment.” the president said.
“But they’re trying to block our access to the plasma extractor.” the admiral added.
“Without it, they can’t sustain Cloud city.” Roma deduced. “What set them off. If independence is really what they want, can’t it be worked out?”
“The liberals are going to lose the election.” the senator said.
“You wish.” the president shot at him.
“This isn’t the time for grandstanding, madame president. You people brainwashed Cloud city into thinking the conservatives were subhuman monsters so you could have a monopoly on government. Now those people are more loyal to a party than to the actual government. They see the writing on the wall. You’re on your way out and they won’t accept it. They’ll fight.”
“I hope peace can be had soon. The news I have is not for wartime ears.” Roma said.
“I was filled in but only briefly. You say you actually found a plasma extractor already out there.” the admiral wanted clarification on.
“We did.” Roma confirmed.
“This changes things.” the president said.
“It’s not going to change the election.” the senator said.
“It might. And even if it doesn’t, there’s always the next one.”
…
The Anasazi had landed on a planet called Pax. The government of the system wanted to hold a grand state dinner for Mark, Lalia, and Bluman. Al was able to begin translating their language and the people of Pax were able to use their own technology to understand Mark and Lalia.
The presidential palace was grand and beautiful. The gardens alone were magnificent. This seemed like something more for a king or an emperor.
Mark was in his full dress uniform. Lalia was in an elegant dress. Blueman was also in a dress uniform but of a different style from Mark. They all sat in their designated seats.
“Now is as good a time as any to get some answers.” Mark told president Hiems.
“I feel as if I do not know the right questions.” Hiems said. “You are from another world. You must have so much to tell us.”
“And we have so much to learn from you.” Lalia said.
Hiems smiled. “I appreciate that. I am told that you two do not actually speak the same language as each other. How is this?”
“I am from Meica. My husband came to us from the sky the same as we now visit you.” Lalia explained.
“I see.”
“Bluman was rescued from a moon.” Mark said.
Bluman nodded. “Please do not mind me. I may not have much to say.”
“We too have robots. We do not however dress them as a person. It is interesting.” Hiems said. “We have thought for a long time that we were alone in the universe. It is both amazing to find out that we are not and yet you are the same as us. There is life on other planets.”
“Not just life. The same kind of life. I found dozens of them. Not just people. Trees. Grass. Chickens. Grasshoppers. Someone has been planting humanity out among the stars.”
“Who?”
Mark shrugged. “I still don’t have that answer. We found plasma extractors, like your own, planets in the middle of being printed, sort to speak, and fully terraformed copies of my world out there. And each with a moon.”
“Do you think the the plasma extractors are making planets?”
“I saw it.” Mark said.
“But that means some people invented space travel and plasma extractors thousands of years ago and left here for the stars. We don’t have any evidence for that.”
“I can’t explain it. But that is what I saw. I’m curious. You believe this is the origin of the plasma extractors?” Mark asked.
“I assumed, of course.” Hiems said.
“I assumed they came from mine.” Lalia said.
“Tell me of your world. What is it like?” Hiems asked her.
Lalia smiled. “I am from a village called Wood Meadow. My father is Jer. Our village leader is Gol and our king is Ragon. In my village we have many families.”
“Is it cold or hot?”
“The summer is hot. The winter is cold. In the winter my father can not work so he cuts wood and sometimes he goes with Nolo, one of our elders, to go hunting for game. In the spring it is planting season so my father works in the fields. We don’t own our own land so we work Nolo’s fields for a portion of the crop. I work as a weaver.”
“What about animals?”
“We don’t have any animals. But there is a cat that sometimes comes by. It is grey and looks grumpy but he’s actually sweet. Sometimes I help with milking the cows when Tona or Meta are sick. Oh, and we have horses. I don’t have a horse but several of the hunters have horses. And there are birds. These are animals that can fly.”
“I know what a bird is.” Hiems said with almost a laugh. “Dear Lalia, I can’t believe what I’m hearing.”
“I documented as much as I could. I don’t think anyone is going to believe this.” Mark said.
“But I don’t understand. If Lalia’s people are farmers, were they kidnapped from Pax?” Hiems asked.
“God made us on our world.” Lalia said. “As surely as he made you on yours.”
“And you, Mark, please tell me of your world.”
“My home planet is called Florida.” Mark explained. “We have advanced technology, similar to your own. My ship, the Anasazi was made there. Florida and Pax share the same mass, chemical composition, spin, tilt, and moon satellite.”
“This confronts me with a question.” Hiems said. “Are you a copy of us or are perhaps we a copy of you?”
“I don’t think anyone is a copy.” Lalia said. “The worlds are similar but not identical. You live here. This world is beautiful. I hope you have a beach I can visit.”
Hiems nodded. “We have many beautiful beaches. Let me ask, how long will you be staying with us?”
“We only need to stop for a short time while we calculate the path to our next destination. I would be happy to carry a message from you back to my people.” Mark offered.
“I will have someone prepare a statement. I hope you will not leave so soon. Your arrival is very important news and we have no right to keep it a secret. Please consider staying a while.”
…
The meeting was going to take place at the Wilson farm. Captain Roma was driving. She pulled onto the dirt driveway between the barn and the house. Senator Freedman got out of the car and Roma followed him.
“Go ahead.” the senator told her.
Roma nodded and took the lead going up the steps to the porch. The Wilsons were expecting them so the door soon opened before anyone had to knock. Donald was in the living room being comforted by Jacob. Angie and her boys stood to the back behind her parents.
Roma stood at attention and once she had everyone’s eyes she read from the official letter. It had been determined that Mark Adakai had died on his test flight.
“We are sorry for your loss.” Roma said. “He was an inspiration to me.” she continued.
The party all moved outside and in the Wilson family cemetery a small marker had been placed for Mark next to Clark’s headstone.
“We will be naming the new station under construction at HC03 after him.” Freedman informed them. “We will not forget his sacrifice.”
No comments:
Post a Comment