Flight Of The Anasazi
By David Billiot
Copyright 2026: All rights reserved
Chapter 11: Shall We Dance
In the morning Mark was in his quarters on the Anasazi thinking of the story he had heard the night before. He wondered what was happening with Cloud city. The election was coming up. The current president was unpopular but Cloud city supported her. Each political party demonized the other so if the incumbent lost office it could be the spark to get people to do more than protest.
“I really need to get home.”
“Captain.” Al interrupted as Mark was preparing his breakfast.
“Present.” Mark joked.
“The plasma extractor has reported to me that the new docking port we instructed it to build has been completed. When it is finished fusing the fuel we need for the FTL there will not be a need for another EVA. Also, Captain, the mass tug ships near the plasma extractor are not entirely dormant. The plasma extractor produces an abundance of extra energy since the civilization here is not utilizing it. It stores this energy in the form of solid hydrocarbons that are then carried into a higher orbit.”
“So if we need bricks for a barbecue we know where to find them.”
After breakfast Mark exited the ship and found a group of people outside, including the king as he looked up at the Anasazi in the daylight. Mark found this to be rather convenient.
“King Ragon, I have a gift for you.” Mark held out a metal plaque with the story of Maloto written on it in the native language. The king was amazed by this.
“How did you make this so fast?”
“Please have your men check it. I can change it if I made a mistake.”
Shortly after Mark brought the king and several of his men into the Anasazi to show them around a bit. It was quite the experience for them.
“Honorable King Ragon, I intend to make a garden in one of my rooms. Would I be able to barter for seeds?” Mark asked.
The king laughed. “We will give them to you. When you reach your home, you will tell your people of us.”
After the tour Mark walked with the party towards the village again. Mark carried with him a roll of fabric. In the village people were working and setting up for the festival. It was then that Mark noticed small copper disks being exchanged for goods from a merchant. Mark looked around and eventually he found Lalia working on making a basket.
“Found you.” he said and then the voice of Al came from his radio to translate.
“Maak. It is an honor.” she said as she got to her feet.
“I hear that you were good at sewing.”
“I can sew.” she confirmed.
“This is for you.” he told her as he handed over the roll of fabric.
“Maak, this is too much. You honor me too much.”
“I don’t think it is too much. Your father’s shirt and tunic are worn too thin.”
“I thank you greatly.”
“No, I thank you. For the meal and for your help guiding me to the priest Jon. Because of his books you can understand what I say.”
Mark enjoyed his time that day, internally noting that this was likely the last day he would spend here. Al already had the coordinates for the first of many many jumps and stars were not stationary after all.
The festival got started early, before the sun was down. The festival was allegedly to honor Mark but he was not the center of attention. He walked around and felt content to see the people of the village being happy.
Once the sun had set several events happened and Mark observed just letting his camera take it all in. Then a large area was cleared of people and young men were on one side and young women on the other. The men wore special dress that was similar to each other and the women had white fabric covering their hair. The music played and one by one a man would cross the distance to the women. He’d call out a woman’s name and she would step forward. The man would ask her to dance and she would extend her hand. The man would take it and lead her to the middle of the area.
Mark wasn’t sure why he felt this way but something about this did seem fun. He let himself smile. “Alright, I’m in. Hey Al, teach me how to ask someone to dance in their language real quick.” Mark said.
“Oh, certainly Captain.” Al’s voice replied. Mark took a few moments to practice the sounds as he watched.
“Do I got it?” Mark asked.
“More or less, Captain.”
“Good. Listen, you know how you and Peggy be liking to talk in private from time to time.”
“Yes, Captain. Though, if you feel it is important to the mission for you to review a transcript of our …”
“That is not necessary, Al. I just want to point out that no man wants a chaperone looking over his shoulder when he goes to talk to a girl.”
“What is your meaning, Captain?”
“Don’t panic. Don’t launch a rescue mission. I’m going to turn off the radio for a bit.”
Mark practiced the words again and then realized he wasn’t entirely sure he had it right but there was no time to waste. He marched himself over to the dance area and then entered from one of the sides between the men and women. He crossed the distance and walked up to the women.
“Lalia.” he called out.
The women were looking wide eyed at him and they started whispering to each other. Then in the back, Lalia stood up because she had been sitting. She was shaking her head.
“May I ask you to dance?” Mark said in the local language.
Lalia looked shocked but Mark could not understand what the big deal was. He repeated the words to ask her to dance and Lalia looked scared. Mark looked around wondering what he had done wrong. Many people had taken an interest in what Mark had done and even the king was out of his chair and standing. Lalia’s father rushed out of the crowd and came to her. Lalia was shaking as she spoke to her father. Her father kissed her forehead and then said something to her that sounded solemn. Then he encouraged her to stand up straight. Her father backed away and Lalia turned to face Mark.
Mark wondered if he should ask again but instead Lalia extended her hand to him and he took it. He led her to the dance area and he noticed that while she had the white fabric in her hair she was not dressed up as fine as the other women who were dancing. It seemed she had not expected to be called on. Mark pulled her to him and began to dance with her.
“Relax. I’m a good dancer.” he told her but she did not understand.
She naturally followed his motion and then put her head on his shoulder. She began to cry.
“Oh, come on. I’m not that bad looking am I?” he asked her.
Mark danced with Lalia and little was said between them but he did encourage her to speak and he tried to repeat the sounds she said. He made her laugh though she was still showing shock. The music played and the couples danced. Round and around they went and Mark got to pretend to be the gentleman officer.
Mark expected the dance to be one music number but somehow he ended up dancing with Lalia for an extended period of time. It was so much time he started to get comfortable holding her. It was enough time for her to get over whatever embarrassment she had being seen with him and she even smiled. She had these funny expressions on her face that she went back and forth on.
“Not every day you get to dance with a spaceman, huh?” he said.
Eventually the dance was over. Mark stood in front of Lalia in the dim light and kissed her hand. He told her he enjoyed the dance and hoped she would remember him. Then Mark intended to go back to the rest of the festival but instead Mark was guided to sit at a table with food. The table had already been set for the many dance couples to sit but an extra place had to be set now for Mark and Lalia. Mark did as directed and he even did one better by handling Lalia’s chair for her. Then he sat next to her and thought to himself that he didn’t mind this.
The king came to the table with the couples and began to give a speech. Mark reached to his collar to turn on his radio again but Lalia grabbed his wrists and then gestured no with her hand. Mark got the message that he needed to be listening to the speech but maybe Lalia didn’t understand that Mark could not understand what was being said.
The king’s speech ended and everyone cheered. Mark was about to eat but Lalia stopped him. She gestured for Mark to look at the other couples. Each man was placing a hand on the woman’s cheek and then kissing her on the lips.
Mark laughed nervously. “Well, alright. Ok. Are you sure?”
She said something and then looked at him expectantly. He copied the hand motion as best as he could make it out and then gently kissed her on the lips. Not a deep kiss, just a brief touch.
“How was that?”
She smiled and spoke. Mark gestured for her to wait a moment and Mark turned back on his radio.
“Hey, Al. I’m back.”
The radio was silent.
“Al. Read me?”
Again the radio was silent. Oh boy.
Mark sat with Lalia and they ate dinner together. She even reached over to take some of the food off his plate. He was annoyed but she gestured to the other couples and apparently that was a thing they were doing.
After the meal the king called Mark over and began to speak. Lalia followed Mark but only so close. She bowed her head and stood at a distance. Mark gestured to his radio and then at his ear. It seemed the king understood. He was kind about it and summoned over one of his servants. The king presented Mark with a gift. It was a sword or dagger about sixty centimeters in length. The king encouraged Mark to pull the blade out of the sheath. Mark looked around at the king’s guards and saw them watching him. Ever since the king had arrived Mark had noticed that all the weapons of the village had been collected by a man guarding one of the wagons. It was easy to imagine the protocol of collecting weapons during a state visit and giving them back at the end.
Mark did not pull out the sword all the way, only a small bit, enough to see some of the metal of the blade.
The festival continued and there was drinking. There was so so much drinking. Then late into the night around the bonfire Mark was with Buba, Gol, king Ragon, Nolo, and Puto. The shaman Sam was there with them too. They were telling stories and Mark really wished his radio was working. Mark tried to explain to them with gestures that he planned to leave soon. He used his finger to point towards the distance in the direction of the Anasazi and then he made a blast off sound and moved his finger up to the sky. It seemed they understood. Buba reached for Mark’s hand and then taking it he bowed his head saying thanks for Mark’s visit.
The night was drawing to a close. The king stood up to go to his tent and the others took that as a moment to stand as well. He was the king after all. The king went to his guards and then walked to the tent prepared for him. The fires were being put out and people were going to their homes. Buba hugged Mark and then he headed for the Anasazi. He had a few choice words for Al.
To get to the Anasazi Mark had to cross the wooded area and then cross the field. He had his light with him so it was no bother and in the woods he came across Lalia’s father walking back to the village. Mark greeted Jer and the man came up to Mark and hugged him. He was speaking some form of thanks to Mark and then hugged Mark again.
“If I don’t see you in the morning, please give my regards to your daughter. I very much enjoyed dancing with her.” Mark said.
Of course Jer did not understand but it was ok. It sort of gave Mark a reason to actually just sleep and wait until morning to officially leave.
Mark walked across the dark field and heard a cow vocalize in the distance. Mark felt the weight of the sword he was carrying in his hand but he knew if a bull suddenly charged him he would likely drop the sword to the ground and just use his sidearm.
Step by step he moved through the grass as the night got cold. He had been looking down and aiming his light down to be sure of his footing so he was pretty close to the ship before he noticed that someone was waiting for him.
“Lalia. What are you doing here?” he asked her when he noticed her. She had a bag with her and she looked like she had been waiting for some time. “You’re going to freeze out here.” Mark said as he put his hand on the controls for the ramp.
The ramp dropped and the area was lit up by the working lights. Mark wondered what he should do. It was late but he was going to have to walk her back home. But it was cold so maybe could he offer her a hot drink first. He gestured for her to follow him in. She picked up her bag and Mark tried to tell her to just leave it outside. She was not going to leave it outside so Mark picked it up for her and then showed her the way in.
She followed him up the ramp to the pressure sealed door. Mark got that open and entered the ship expecting to again hear shenanigans but the ship was quiet. Mark went to a console and tapped it.
“Al. What are you doing?”
Al’s avatar appeared on the screen. His hair was messy, his uniform was unbuttoned and he had the goofiest of grins on his face. “Captain, something has happened.”
“Does it explain why my radio didn’t work?” Mark accused.
Panic crossed Al’s face. “No. You were trying to reestablish contact? But I thought …”
“What were you doing?”
“Well … See, Captain, I was thinking about what you said and I got to talking to Peggy and … something happened.”
“How is that even possible?” Mark asked as he started to assume what Al must be referring to.
“I am sorry, Captain.” Al said.
“Save it. Save it.” Mark said. Then he gestured for Lalia to follow him to his quarters so he could make her a drink. He left her bag by the exit door leading to the ramp and took her hand to guide her. “Autopilot in love with the life support. Oh man.” he muttered.
In Mark’s quarters Lalia looked around and she spoke. Al began to translate but stopped mid sentence.
“What’s wrong?” Mark asked.
Text appeared on the screen by the bunk. “She says it is too bright in the room and wonders how you can sleep. Also, she seems annoyed that somehow an invisible person is in the room with you.”
The lights of the room dimmed and then romantic sax music started to play.
“Cut it out.” Mark said.
The music stopped but the lights were still dim.
“Sorry about that.” Mark told Lalia.
She spoke and Mark was looking over her shoulder to see the real time translation getting posted on the screen.
“If you are cooking in here, how does the smoke get out?”
“It’s complicated. There’s a ventilation system. A complicated ventilation system.” he said and then at reduced volume Al’s voice translated so Lalia could understand.
He offered her a chair at his table but instead of taking it she sat on his bunk.
“Do you want tea or coffee?” he asked her.
“Coffee is very expensive.” she said.
“It’ll also keep you up all night.”
“Tea please. Or just water.” she said.
Mark started to heat the water and there was silence for a bit. “You dance very well.” he complimented her.
“I didn’t think I would ever get to dance. No one wants a tall girl.”
“Well I for one am happy no one else could get to you before me.”
She laughed. “I can’t believe I am here. This has happened.”
“What happened to your mother?”
Lalia looked sad. “She died. Since I was little it was always just me and my father.”
Mark was going to offer condolences but Lalia interrupted him.
“But please know I learned. I can teach. I will do my best.”
“Oh, I’m sure. Lalia the teacher.” Mark poured the hot tea into two mugs and brought them over, one held by each hand. “You can pick. Which color do you like?”
She thought for a moment and reached for the blue mug leaving Mark with the red one.
“My mother was from Low Bridge. I have never seen it. When I was little I got a letter from my grandparents there. Maak, tell me about your family.”
“It’s difficult. My real parents argued. And one day it was raining really hard. We were in a town by the beach. Man the rain was coming down. My parents were yelling at each other outside a shopping center. My mother stormed off and my father told me to wait there. He ran after her. I was standing in front of a store and in the rain I saw my father’s car drive away. And I stood there. I waited. And I never saw them again.”
“You are a foundling?”
“If that’s what you call it. The state placed me with new parents but they weren’t my real parents.” Then Mark laughed. “My dad, Donald, he thinks the universe is only ten thousand years old. That is so …”
“Is it older?” Lalia asked.
“Quite a bit older. And yet we are on a planet that is not. Ironically enough.”
She turned to look at his bed. “Your bed is so small.”
“That’s life on a ship. Space is a premium. But these quarters are nice. Not as nice as my house back home but for a ship, this is excellent.”
“Do spouses not sleep together?” she asked.
“Sure they do.” Mark said cautiously. Something in his mind sent up a warning sign but he decided not to jump to conclusions.
“So, where should I sleep?” she asked.
“You want to sleep here?” he asked fully in information gathering mode.
She looked at him a bit surprised he would ask the question. “I’ve always known I was leaving.”
“Why do you say that?”
“It is our tradition. We are one people. A man travels from village to village until he finds a wife and brings her home with him.”
“And you plan to go home with me.” Mark concluded.
She tilted her head and looked at him like he was a dunce. “You chose me.”
“I did, didn’t I.” he admitted.
“I’m a little scared. I imagined what this day would be like, going by horse with my husband and leaving my father behind. I don’t know how a man from the sky can do what you do.”
Mark took a moment to sip Amanda Roma’s disgusting tea and think. “I must tell you, I am lost. I must try to make the journey home but it will be difficult. I might not make it.”
“I gave you my hand. I go where you lead.”
“So … what do you expect will happen now?”
“I am tired. My feet are wet.”
“I think tonight,” Mark began to say slowly as his brain was working “the best plan is to … first take a bath. Yes. And uh … this is all new so I want you to be comfortable. So, uh, … I have several other rooms that are empty. They are nice rooms. You will be warm and comfortable all night. Best sleep of your life.”
Instead of bringing her to his own shower, he brought her to the crew shower which had never been used yet. He showed her how the water worked and Lalia was very surprised. He took out some pajamas and a towel for her and then gave her privacy.
Mark went back to his own quarters and was thinking. “Al, please review the camera footage.”
“Anything in particular you would like for me to focus on?”
“The dancing. All of that. I got audio, right?”
“Reviewing now, Captain. Ah, I see. Clarification: You are married.”
“I did that, huh?”
“The mission does not have a protocol for this situation.”
“Well, we better start thinking up the story of what to tell her father. I really didn’t want to offend anyone.”
“My review of the night’s events suggests he is highly pleased with your union with his daughter.”
“He’s not going to be pleased when I give her back. I can’t take her into orbit. Or FTL. It’ll freak her out.”
“Agreement: If she is to join us on our mission she will need training.”
“Or I have to give her back.”
“Or we could bring her back with us as an ambassador of her people.”
“With her thinking she’s my wife the whole time.” Mark rebutted.
“Captain, I don’t understand. You did marry her.”
Mark was annoyed. “You do not understand. At what point in time did just asking a girl to dance suddenly mean a man was married to her?”
Al thought for a moment and then started to list historical cultures as precedent.
Mark told Al to knock it off and then he sat on his bed. He wondered when Lalia would be finished with her shower so he could tell her which room to use. Or maybe he could show her several rooms and let her pick.
A knock came to the door of Mark’s quarters and Mark opened his eyes. It was late and he had perhaps started to drift. Lalia came into his quarters in the pajamas that were too big for her even with her height. She looked so cute with her wet hair like that.
“I’ll show you to a room.” Mark said and then Al started to translate. But Lalia rejected the translation and spoke harshly to make Al be silent. Mark glanced at the screen.
“She’s mad because she thinks I was spying on her in the shower. She wants to be alone with you and she has chosen to sleep in your bed with you. Good luck, Captain.”
Lalia took Mark by the hand and led him to the bed. She sat on it and spoke. The lights went out and Lalia smiled. She asked him a question and Mark read that she was asking how he could turn off the lights with just his mind and not using his hands.
The bed was small but two people could sleep there if they were right next to each other. Lalia chose to be in the bed next to the wall and Mark was by the edge. She wanted him to hold her.
“I guess … How’d you like to be the first of your people to go into space?”
She didn’t answer. She kissed him on the cheek and that got him to turn to her. And then she kissed him again.
No comments:
Post a Comment